It’s that time of year…. Finally! When the last 4 months of Canadian gray, wintry white and inky black give way to spring green and sky blue, sun yellow and crocus purple. It’s time for colour to come back into our lives.
In nature, colour is bursting everywhere. I think our homes should always have a strong injection of colour. Colour affects our moods – how we sleep, how we relax, how we interact. Colour is personality. Colour can be dramatic, fun, sophisticated, peaceful or stimulating. What I know for sure is that colour is an essential element of good design. Here are the top 5 ways to bring colour into your home:
- Fabulous toss cushions – here is where you can really go to town. Think jewelry for the living room. Let your personality really shine through and pick what you love. Mix colour, texture and patterns. You can always change the toss cushions yearly, or even seasonally. You do not need to make a lifelong commitment…
- Duvet cover and bedding – nothing says summer like all white bedding. Or go with a wild floral, a soothing pastel, or an elegant toile. Changing up your bedding will refresh the entire bedroom and give you an instant makeover. The best part is that bedding does not have to be expensive or take up a lot of storage space.
- Add curtains – so many people have told me that they are “not curtain people”. That is because they have never had good curtains. Drapery can inject much needed pattern and/or colour into a space. Whether you opt for full length drapery panels, or tailored roman blinds, good window treatments are essential to finishing off a space.
- Artwork – A space without art looks naked. The entire room could be professionally designed, it could have the most beautiful furniture, carpet, fabrics, and even toss cushions (see above!), but if the walls are empty, the room will look naked and incomplete. Art does not need to be expensive, but it does need to be well framed, at an appropriate scale within the space, and there should be a good mix of different media and types of artwork. I love helping my clients pick just the right pieces to enhance their home.
- Paint – Easy, inexpensive, and effective. Paint can completely transform a space, change the entire feel of a room, and totally refresh a home. I love the opportunity to makeover an existing space with a new coat of paint! It is the way to make the biggest impact with colour.
So, at this time of year, when we Canadians are waking up from a long winter slumber, as we peel off the layers of our black coats and hats and boots, let’s think about bringing colour into our lives.
What colours do you love?